Saturday, July 4, 2009

Rambling Country Mama (Pretty Girl From Illinois)

Rainy Independence Day Blues

The neighborhood looks like a jungle green on a wet Forth. Have had great acoustic shows the last two nights at Finnegan's in Plainfield. Feels like we're slowly starting to turn some heads around town. We're at Finnegan's every Thursday, indefinitely and btw. Here are the lyrics to a newish tune that you may or may not have heard.

Rambling Country Mama (Pretty Girl From Illinois)

I know that you're a country girl
Yeah your boots are the real thing
A hat to match your gunny sack
Fake cactus diamond ring
But I never knew that Nashville
Was where you want to be
Thought you'd leave me for a businessman
Not a town in Tennessee

I rode the City of New Orleans
Chicago down to Beale
Then thumbed my way on eastward
Over Tennessee moonshine hills
I almost turned around
The hard rain fell and filled my eyes
And I know that you don't like to be
Confronted or surprised

But babe its been a long time
Since I felt this shade of blue
My heart just can't get past the thought
Of beating without you

So if you wanna be
Another Johnny and June
I'll change the way I sing
And we can move to some place new
The fiddle feels like dancing
And I've got whiskey on my tongue
You're a rambling country woman
You've got me on the run

I know you do the honky tonk
You like to jook and tease them boys
Two dudes at Tootsies knew you as
That little pretty girl from Illinois
But I know you as someone else
Who likes to keep me on the line
So when I say I'm here to prove my love
It’s the truth cause I ain't lying

I'm feeling like a lonesome tune
I can't find you, I can't sleep
Nashville's getting louder
I think maybe its time to leave
"Hey stranger what brings you around"
I hear a whisper soft and sweet
You say what took you so long, baby
I've been waiting here for weeks

Love you know the right time
Is right now and not for long
A cardinal in the springtime
Daybreak at the dawn

So if you wanna live
Like Suasanna and Guy
We'll settle down in Texas
Where the lonesome bluebirds cry
The banjo feels like singing
I feel like loving you
Lets travel pretty mama
With these rambling country blues

Now I have so many songs
I’ve written just for you
Just to keep you on my mind
The way you asked me to

And I’m not going home
You’re not staying here
The world is ours to have
Just like I am yours my dear

The road is our red carpet
Where the trucks are rolling slow
Carlsbad to Carolina
Anywhere you wanna go

No comments: